Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I'm such a worry wart...

So I know I totally freaked ya'll out yesterday about this whole court thing. I'm okay now. I went to the hearing today and the creep waived his right to a preliminary hearing. Basically, he took a plea bargain so I didn't have to testify against him.

He has to register for ten years on the sex offender registry and there is a possibility that he will get prison time. He pleaded out for a third degree felony instead of a second degree so it carries a maximum sentence of up to 5 years in prison but that's up to the judge. He's also going to be sat in front of two psychologists to determine if he's competent to stand in front of a judge or jury and there is a 1000 foot restraining order against him. So I'm safe.

I sent an email to my dad before I went home yesterday and basically broke down. He told me that the best way to conquer this fear that I have is to meet it head on which essentially what I did. I know I can handle something like that now. It's not that the nature of the fear has changed. My ability to handle it has grown.

So now, on to bettering myself and putting the last few years firmly behind me. I have been in Utah almost a full year now and I am so not the person that I was when I first got here. If you had asked me to do what I did today last year I would have laughed at you and said absolutely not. So I'm grateful that I can even recognize that things are even that different. Here's to more improvement...something that will no doubt be a constant for me throughout my life as I'm always screwing up in one way or another. :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Katia! Hey there girlie! I saw your blog link on Stephane's blog. How are you? I thought you moved back to TX...we totally should hang out! Here is my blog if you want to take a look...
http://melisllife.blogspot.com/